All Concerning the SAGE Check and Dementia Pink Flags
By Nadia Hlebowitsh
- About the SAGE test
- Taking the SAGE test
- Understanding SAGE test results
- Related Articles
This text has been medically reviewed by Dr. Martin Duggan in 2021
This content material shouldn’t be meant to be an alternative choice to skilled medical recommendation, analysis, or therapy. At all times search the recommendation of your doctor or one other certified well being supplier with any questions you’ll have concerning a medical situation.
Figuring out early indicators of dementia might be difficult. And many individuals above the age of 65 have issue making it to the physician. So, to assist bridge the hole, there’s a easy at-home take a look at that may assess whether or not you or a liked one might require additional testing for dementia signs. It’s known as the SAGE take a look at and it may assist determine the presence of dementia. As soon as the take a look at has been taken, a major care physician can assessment the outcomes and resolve if additional testing is critical. Let’s look into the main points of the SAGE take a look at and different dementia pink flags to bear in mind.
Concerning the SAGE take a look at
What’s the SAGE take a look at?
The SAGE take a look at stands for the Self-Administered Gerocognitive Examination. Because the title suggests, this take a look at might be taken by an individual at residence. No particular instruments or grade books are wanted. The purpose of the take a look at is to assist your major physician assess your mind well being and flag any cognitive issues or memory impairment. It’s usually used to determine early indicators of dementia, particularly in older adults who is perhaps in danger.
Is the SAGE take a look at for dementia solely?
The SAGE take a look at is designed to acknowledge early signs of Alzheimer’s or different types of dementia. Particularly, it’s in search of indicators of delicate cognitive impairment (MCI), which frequently precedes dementia issues.
Nevertheless, it’s essential to notice that this take a look at doesn’t essentially imply the person has dementia. Neither is the take a look at meant to be interpreted by anybody aside from a doctor. Moreover, the take a look at is supposed to be half of a bigger analysis for dementia. Lastly, it is very important keep in mind that the take a look at doesn’t diagnose any particular situation. It’s principally meant for use as a instrument to assist major medical doctors resolve who might require further testing for dementia.
When ought to I take the SAGE take a look at?
For those who’re nervous that you simply or a liked one is displaying indicators of dementia, the SAGE take a look at, together with a visit to the physician, are good first steps. Whereas some reminiscence loss is regular with ageing, it can be a symptom of a bigger well being downside. In line with Ohio State University, some early indicators it is best to be careful for embody:
- Forgetting appointments or not too long ago discovered info
- Hassle discovering phrases or shedding prepare of thought
- Forgetting the day of the week, and many others.
- Misplacing objects
- Getting misplaced in a well-known place
- Modifications in character or temper
- Changing into impulsive or displaying poor judgment
For those who’ve observed any of those indicators, the SAGE take a look at is a should. It could reveal an underlying cognitive dysfunction, or another well being points that should be addressed.
Why would anybody need an early dementia analysis?
Discovering out you or your beloved have dementia might be scary. Nevertheless, an early analysis might be extraordinarily useful. Some types of dementia are extra treatable if identified early and signs might be lowered or minimized.
Even with Alzheimer’s disease, having an early analysis can assist handle signs and facilitate planning for the longer term. Equally essential, some drugs, when administered early on can enhance cognitive perform and likewise enhance the flexibility to carry out actions of each day dwelling. Furthermore, you’ll be able to higher put together for dementia’s development as therapies are sometimes simpler at this stage. You can even work along with your physician to create a customized care plan.
What are the advantages of taking the SAGE take a look at?
The SAGE take a look at might be a superb instrument for assessing cognitive well being. Taking this take a look at can assist in a wide range of methods, together with:
- Get an early analysis. This take a look at was designed to assist major care medical doctors to get a head begin on dementia and associated issues. As talked about above, early administration is healthier administration in terms of dementia.
- Begin taking motion. Individuals, particularly seniors, resist seeing a physician. Nevertheless, the SAGE take a look at might be achieved at residence as a primary step. It’s cheap and might be taken inside minutes.
- Get peace of thoughts. For those who’re involved you or a liked one has cognitive impairment, the SAGE take a look at can put your doubts to relaxation or transfer you into motion.
Nevertheless, specialists within the discipline are clear: this take a look at is NOT an alternative choice to seeing the physician. It was designed for use as one among many accessible instruments to assist assess for the presence of signs regarding for dementia. That stated, the take a look at can failitate an early analysis. As we’ve mentioned above, getting that early analysis can enhance the standard of life for seniors with dementia.
Taking the SAGE take a look at
How do I take the SAGE take a look at?
The SAGE take a look at is straightforward to take and also you don’t want something fancy. Mainly, you need to obtain the official SAGE test, print it off, and have a pen useful to reply the questions. There are at present 4 variations of the take a look at accessible. Solely take one; they’re interchangeable.
The directions for the take a look at are simple, too. Merely reply the questions with out the assistance of others and don’t take a look at a clock/calendar to assist reply them. There’s no time restrict, however it usually takes about 10-Quarter-hour. That’s it!
Can I take the SAGE take a look at on-line?
A web-based model of the SAGE take a look at, known as BrainTest, can also be accessible. For those who want, you’ll be able to take the take a look at on this on-line format. Both approach, the outcomes of the take a look at will give correct outcomes.
Is the net SAGE take a look at correct?
It’s essential to notice that the SAGE take a look at was made by Dr. Scharre at Ohio State College. It’s best to take the official SAGE take a look at on their web site or the net BrainTest model. Different “Alzheimer’s exams” on-line is probably not correct indicators of mind well being. Actually, researchers have rated 75% of online dementia tests as poor or very poor. For the very best evaluation, take the official exams on the Ohio State College web site.
Is it accessible in different languages than English?
Luckily, the SAGE take a look at is on the market in a number of languages. You possibly can obtain it from the official web site in English (US), English (NZ), Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Croatian, French, or German. Simply select from the choices whenever you go to obtain the take a look at.
What kind of questions can be on the SAGE take a look at?
The SAGE take a look at makes use of primary inquiries to get a way of cognitive well being. For instance, chances are you’ll discover questions on the next core themes:
- Orientation in time (understanding the day of the week, and many others.)
- Simple arithmetic
- Quick-term reminiscence
- Naming objects/animals
- Figuring out similarities
- Primary problem-solving
- Drawing a 3-D object
- The trail-making take a look at
- The clock drawing take a look at
In fact, telling somebody precisely what’s within the take a look at and subsequently permitting them to organize solutions forward of time defeats the aim of the take a look at! Suffice it to say, there are questions that dementia patients might get fallacious in attribute ways in which an grownup with out dementia can be unlikely to overlook.
Understanding SAGE take a look at outcomes
How does SAGE take a look at scoring work?
After you’ve accomplished the SAGE take a look at, it is best to schedule an appointment along with your physician to speak in regards to the outcomes. He/she is going to rating your take a look at and take any related actions.
In case your rating raises concern for dementia, the physician might order follow-up exams, corresponding to an MRI or CT scan. Or, if the rating was regular, it is perhaps stored on file to match with future exams.
Why can’t I make a house analysis?
The SAGE take a look at doesn’t diagnose one situation and there could also be a number of right solutions. There’s no reply sheet for this take a look at. Solely a physician can know for positive what the outcomes imply and decide subsequent steps.
That stated, an grownup can look over the examination at residence and have the ability to inform if the take a look at taker struggled to reply or carried out the duties effectively. But it surely’s your physician’s duty to correctly rating the SAGE take a look at.
How correct is the SAGE take a look at?
Whereas no take a look at is ideal, SAGE is sort of correct in indicating whether or not somebody has dementia. Research present that the take a look at leads to 95% accuracy – which is increased than many in-person dementia exams. It’s an essential first step in figuring out whether or not you or a liked one could also be in danger for dementia issues.
Early detection of dementia and different circumstances associated to cognitive impairment is crucial. The SAGE take a look at is a wonderful approach to get the dialog began along with your physician and look into any underlying causes of dementia signs.
On the similar time, when you’re curious about getting extra assets about dementia, go to MyCaringPlan. Right here you’ll discover guides to dementia care to provide the greater image on senior well being and caregiving.
- SAGE: A Check to Detect Indicators of Alzheimer’s and Dementia, Wexner Medical Middle, https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/brain-spine-neuro/memory-disorders/sage#:~:text=The%20Self%2DAdministered%20Gerocognitive%20Exam,Download%20Test
- Scharre DW, Chang SI, Murden RA, et al. Self-administered Gerocognitive Examination (SAGE): a short cognitive evaluation Instrument for delicate cognitive impairment (MCI) and early dementia. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2010;24(1):64-71. doi:10.1097/WAD.0b013e3181b03277
- Birks JS, Harvey RJ. Donepezil for dementia as a consequence of Alzheimer’s illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;6(6):CD001190. Printed 2018 Jun 18. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001190.pub3
- Self-Administered Gerocognitive Examination (SAGE): Accuracy, Advantages, Scoring and Administer, Dementia Care Middle, https://www.dementiacarecentral.com/self-administered-gerocognitive-exam/
- How Correct Is the On-line SAGE Dementia Check?, Very Nicely Well being, https://www.verywellhealth.com/sage-at-home-dementia-test-98644
- All Concerning the SAGE Check for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Detection, On a regular basis Well being, https://www.everydayhealth.com/alzheimers-disease/all-about-the-sage-test-for-alzheimers-and-dementia-detection/
This publish was previously published on mycaringplan.com.
You might also like these posts on The Good Males Mission:
Picture credit score: iStockPhoto.com